A pandemic, political turmoil and social unrest have forced us to stop, look, and change. This is tough. And long.
I will never forget a simple thing my friend Hollis once said to me: "when one door closes there is always another one to walk through." It's up to us to find and walk through those open doors, to fully experience each moment.
The holidays are approaching. The only year I ever had all my shopping done and presents wrapped before Thanksgiving was the year our daughter was born, on December 5. She is about to have her 40th birthday, she lives across the country, and this will be the first time she will not be home for Christmas. This sucks.
Recently, the Chamber of Commerce and the Downtown Association of Bainbridge launched a "Save our Stores" campaign, to highlight the fragility of our downtown core of businesses without tourists, and to encourage people to shop locally. Sweetlife Farm and other small island businesses sprinkled around Bainbridge are no less vulnerable than our more visible colleagues downtown, without the advantage of location, walkability and organizational marketing campaigns.
Everything we do at Sweetlife-growing ingredients; creating and producing our own products and packaging; developing and maintaining a website; and marketing-is done in house and depends on us. Our challenge is to explore ways to make our business and products relevant, visible and accessible to you.
For more than 20 years Sweetlife has opened its doors to holiday shoppers the first weekend and Saturdays in December. So many people show up that we need people outside to manage parking and lots of extra volunteer helpers inside; many shoppers arrive with lists in hand, and need help carrying their stuff to the car. This year's Covid reality says it won't be safe to be inside, in a crowded room. Here's what we are working on:
GIFTS: AFFORDABLE, LOCAL, PERSONAL, SUSTAINABLE, UNIQUE
- Nothing hits all these buttons better than Sweetlife Farm products!
- Old favorites, new flavors, creative scents, colors and packaging; watch for new products and old products brought back by popular demand
- All Sweetlife provisions for food, skin and home are as useful as they are interesting, healthful and healthy.
- We have a gift for everyone on the list-and none will break the piggybank!
SHOP EARLY TO BEAT THE CROWDS
- WE SHIP! Order NOW! We are happy ship immediately or schedule a later shipping date of your choice.
- SHOP IN PRIVATE! We are accepting appointments NOW for up to two people at a time to shop safely in our shop. We will ask you to wear masks and wash your hands upon entering. The earlier you shop the easier it will be to choose your day and time, since so many people will still wait until the last minute! Call or send an email to set up an appointment.
- CONTACT FREE PICK UP! Order online and we will set your order outside the shop under cover with your name on it, to pick up at your convenience.
- We have lots of product ready NOW for shoppers who think ahead. Shopping early offers time to make carefully personalized gift decisions and removes last minute stress.
- We love creating personalized gift boxes, and have made it simple to ADD GIFT PACKAGING to your order. We take the time to create a gift that is a joy to receive and a delight to discover, with little touches such as a charming handmade gift card, recipes to go with the products, description of the ingredients used in our skincare products, and even extra little decorative treats and treasures.
- EARLY shopping ensures the best selection and even allows us to replenish some popular items.
VIRTUAL SHOPPING TAKEN UP A NOTCH
- Two friends are helping us create short VIDEOS AND PHOTO MONTAGES of Sweetlife products to expand upon web descriptions. Watch for posts on this blog, Instagram, Facebook, and emails (sign up for our newsletter).
- ZOOM shop! SKYPE shop! Set up an appointment with us today, and we will walk you around our shop while you sit in front of your computer.
We are in this together with you!